Conveniently located between Nice and Cannes, you’ll find the city of Antibes. An ancient Greek port that today is one of the more glamorous towns along the Riviera. The atmosphere is more laid back and quieter than neighboring towns of Cannes and Nice, and many prefer to stay in Antibes.
Like many of the other towns along the Riviera, Antibes has a modern part along the harbor and an old town with narrow streets.
The Picasso Museum
In 1946 Pablo Picasso lived six months in the old castle – Chateau Grimaldi. The following year a museum dedicated to Picasso was set up in parts of the castle. Today one floor is devoted to Picasso’s works and another floor to other modern artists with ties to Antibes. Although the Picasso collection is somewhat limited and you can see more famous works in other museums, Chateau Grimaldi is something special. Picasso used to live and worke in the castle, and the building itself has a long and interesting history. It is also delightful located by the coast. This museum is a must when visiting Antibes.
Antibes has a number of beaches on both sides of town and towards Juan les Pins. Most are sandy, but there are also some pebble beaches for those who prefer that.
Restaurants and bars
As in most towns along the Riviera, Antibes abounds with restaurants and bars. But the quality varies, here are some of our recommendations.
- Absinthe Bar. This is an excellant and odd little bar full of old absinthe-related things. A great place to learn about absinthe and have a drink or two.
- Le Carnet de Bord. At this small restaurant it can be hard to get a table, but once you get in you’ll understand why it is so popular. The food and atmosphere are wonderful.
- Chez Helene. At Helenes the service is always impeccable and the food is great as well. This is one of the few vegitarian restaurants in the area, but is highly recommended for everyone.
- La Taille de Guepe. This excellent restaurant has a floral theme and they use a lot of flowers in the meals. It’s surprisingly good and well recommended to try.
- Miam Miam. Very popular place among the younger generation of locals. It serves simple dishes like sandwitches and burgers. This is the place to go if you want a quick and good meal.